SC - Mellow out.

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 28 08:05:27 PDT 2000

Bear wrote:

>Not being into liverwurst, I'm thinking of trying the liver dish and the
>liver tart from Welser.  The recipes given below are from Valois Armstrong's
>translation of Das Kochbuch von Sabina Welserin.

And then put forth the recipes:

>21 A liver dish
>     Then take a liver from a lamb and cut it into little pieces the size of a
>calf's sweetbreads and wrap around each piece a small lamb's caul
>and stick it onto
>a spit and roast it like small spitted birds on a grill.

About how big is a calf sweetbread? Would another type of
fat work instead of the lamb's caul I wonder or is there a
particular quality of the caul that we wouldn't get from
another source?

>26 If you would make good liverwurst
>First take a quarter of a pig's liver, also a quarter of a pig's lungs, chop
>them small, after that chop bacon into small cubes and put salt and
>caraway seeds
>into it. The liver and lungs must first be cooked, before they are chopped,
>and afterwards pour as much of this broth on the chopped meat as you feel is
>enough. Then take the intestines from the slaughterhouse and fill them full,
>then you have good sausage.

I've been toying with the idea of making this recipe since
Hauviette and I began our sausage experiments. Is there a
reason why the pig parts are used instead of some other
animal? And why the lungs in the liverwurst? Do they provide
a texture you wouldn't get without it or was it simply a way
of making the best use of as much of the animal as possible?
Is it possible that SW didn't really mean bacon but rather some
other cut of pork?

>77 A liver tart
>Take liver from a calf or a lamb, cook it until it becomes soft, take rich
>meat  broth, chop the liver small and put salt, ginger and pepper in
>it and let it
>bake.

I'd try this recipe if there was anyone around who had any desire to
eat liver, but alas, there is no one who will admit to it. I have two
calves livers ready to be made into *something* anything so long
as they get the heck out of my freezer. But no one in the areas wants
to eat it. And I just don't like it, to be honest. Not because it's nasty
(though high school biology class put me off for a long while) but
because it's just too rich. I can take a bite and then I'm done. I've had
enough.

Iasmin

iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at ptc.com or iasmin at home.com