SC - OOP::::: Basil oil

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 19:13:17 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 28 Sep 00, , that Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> I was perusing Sabina Welserin last night and thinking about liver.  How was
> it prepared?  Were any types of liver avoided?  What was the medical
> philosophy concerning liver?  With Brighid's post from de Nola, I thought a
> thread on historic liver recipes and documentation might be fun.

You've seen Vincente's post with his translated recipe, which uses
sheep, kid, or goat liver.  As far as I can tell, the Spanish corpus
uses the livers of most edible creatures.  There are a lot of recipes
for roast fowl which use the bird's liver in a sauce.  There are also
some Lenten recipes for sauces using fish liver (tunny and dentex),
and the _Arte Cisoria_ (1423 carving manual) mentions that hog's
liver is often chopped into a pate-type dish.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net