SC - PAYNE RAGOUN

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Sep 11 15:41:52 PDT 2000

> << Sugar of Cypress, I believe >>
> OK. I have seen this mentioned 3 times now. What is sugar of Cypress and why
> would it work better than sugar syrup in this recipe? Since I have translated
> the term as sugar syrup and it works well in this recipe, what leads you to
> believe that cipre is simply not a scribal error for the word 'sirop'?

Sugar from Cyprus. In other words, sugar, since sugar comes from Cyprus.
;)

Occam's law says take the most straighforward explanation, and the OED
says under Sugar...
"  b. With qualifying adj., n., or phr. indicating:
  (a) the place of origin or manufacture, as sugar of Alisaunder (=
Alexandria),
Babylon, Barbary, Candy (cf. SUGAR-CANDIAN), Cipre (= Cyprus), Marrokes (=
Morocco); see also LISBON; "

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling