SC - cheese

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 23 16:23:43 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> But what do you use for a cheese press? Do you use one that your purchased
> commercially? Did you make it yourself? I'm imagining something with
> a large screw thread pressing a disc in a bucket. Or did you simply
> use a drilled plastic bucket, a circle of plywood or plastic and a
> bunch of wieghts? Would the latter work?

Yeah, it works. A fairly common traditional design for a cheese-press is
a a perforated cheese-vat, often looking like half a barrel with spaces
between the slats, and holes drilled in the bottom. This is inserted
into a rectangular frame with a wooden disk fitting inside it, which can
be weighted down, screwed down, or clamped down with a lever. Or you can
simply use the vat (corresponding to the bucket you mentioned) with the
disk inside, and weights. Sources like Digby and Plat mention using
weights to hold the disk down.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy