SC - Easy period soups?

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Sep 29 09:31:37 PDT 2000

> gelatin. Does that ring any bells? More generally, can anyone think
> of a period soup recipe that is easy and inexpensive to make, and
> would thus be a suitable replacement for a modern dehydrated chicken
> soup?

To be honest, having carted around period soups in jars to dayboards, no
period soup is going to be a suitable replacement for what they are doing,
because you are going to have to screw around with making broth from
scratch. Now, you could get up at 7 am, start the fire or fire
replacement, and do the soup from scratch on site, but it's going to
involve a lot of work for an experienced cook and messing around with
chicken and chickenfat on the battlefield. That seems to me to re-raise
the issues of health and safety that she was concerned about to begin
with.

If you make your broth ahead of time, then you get to cart around
chickenbroth in jars. Even if you put it in plastic jugs and freeze it,
it won't stay frozen the entire war. *slosh, slosh* It's also heavy and
messy to carry.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."