SC - LOL and a question.

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Fri Sep 8 14:53:36 PDT 2000

    I was co-feastocrat while nursing a 9-week-old daughter -- I had to take
over when the feastocrat had to leave on a ski trip the morning of the
feast.  She did the buying and togehter we did some pre-cooking and prep
work.  It was a hassle -- I set up a corner of the kitchen for the 3 nursing
moms and I cooked in my chemise.  It's tough.  I seem to have a habit of
filling in at the last minute.  Naturally, that was the event where the
Prince and the Princess came in to interview me for Principality Chronicler
(which I did get despite the interesting interview).
    I'd rather work before the baby is born, personally.  You won't get a
lot of regular sleep for a while.  But my best recommendation is to work
with and for an experienced cook for an event and be in on the planning so
you can learn all the aspects of doing the job right.  I came into the SCA
having worked in my church's soup kitchen every Wed. night for 2 years
feeding 120 every week.  I was in charge of planning, buying, cooking,
everything and anything else.  I learned a lot.  Feeding people in the SCA
is different than catering, too.  Be a volunteer for a while first.
Usually, the kitchen can always use another pair of helping hands.  I
volunteer to bake the bread because I like doing that job (and I hate eating
store-bought French bread at a feast).

Raoghnailt