SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 12 08:06:28 PDT 2000

>Hm. You know, I had a thought, the sausage, cheese, mushroom etc. filled
>rolls/pies of bread dough may be period, based on a passage in the
>domostroi:
<snip>
>The fighting household that made teh bread dough wrapped around filling
>rolls found that they could be made ahead of time, baked, frozen solid,
>and transportported to War (Pennsic) in coolers and they kept quite well.

We ate cabbage pirozhkis at the Slavic Interest Group party this Pennsic.
They had been made several days in advance and were simply bagged and kept
in a cooler.  We ate them cold/at room temp.  They were incredibly good!  I
would have killed to have something to eat like this when I was a fighter.
They fit in your hand, they aren't messy (bread dough instead of
shortcrust), and you can eat them in just a few bites.  Since they are
cold, you don't get the "queasy" feeling you get from hot food sometimes,
most people are not adverse to seasoned cabbage in small quantities, and
you don't need to worry about the meat spoiling (there isn't any) or the
vegetarians/vegans not getting enough to eat.  Combined with the other
"fighter foods", pirozhkis would make a complimentary, period addition to
the menu.

- --Yana