SC - Re: SC dried squid

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 19:12:07 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/15/00 3:57:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<< Pure speculation on my part, but has any consideration been given to the
idea that dried meat products may be found in early Spanish or Arab writings?

Not that I am aware of. Remember that both European and Middle Eastern
cultures were highly developed cultures and well advanced from the subsistent
cultures that flourished thousands of years before. I think our biggest
mistake in using 'conjecture' to rationalize period practices is thinking of
them as primitive. They were no more primitive than we are.

<< Seems to me as if those areas would  >have had sufficient sun to dry meat.

Probably. But why bother? Meat was abundant in the markets and fresh daily.
Salt preservation was known and used. As was preservation in honey. Either of
those methods is infinitely preferable over drying.

Fruits were dried, yes. And in northern climes, fish, Meat is doubtful.

 <<Also, there was a technique that was taught in survival school about
smoke-drying meat, using a small fire and a small tent over the fire, with
the meat racked
 >inside the tent but away from flame. >>

Again I fail to see the relevance of iron or stone age cultural practices to
societies that were thousands of years advanced and had little need to
practice primitive 'survivalists techniques.

 <And is there anyone on the list that share's my fondness for dried spiced
squid?

 >wajdi >>

Yes,

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/