SC - Re: German cookbook, sca-cooks V1 #2590

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Tue Sep 12 15:57:22 PDT 2000

Kiri asked

>>which book you are translating these recipes from<<

Gracious Lady,
I am working on translating and webbing (in English) "Ein New Kochbuch" 1581,
by Marxen Rumpolt.  The corrected Salad section has been added to the web,
but I am taking a small break in the baked goods chapter, to get a
transcription and translation of the selection of "sample feasts" he has in
the first 40+ pages of the book.

I will be the Koch for the Barony of Caerthe 's Arts & Sciences Competition
feast in early November, and would like to keep it period, documentable, and
DELICIOUS!
(Ya'll come now, Ya hear !!!)
so I wanted a better base of how he claims a feast was constructed.  I am
rather appalled how LITTLE veggie matter is listed in the actual menus.  When
I get workable material I will post and web it (as usual) though I will need
some additional answers from Thomas (when he returns from his travels)
because there are a few oddities (also as usual) but I have deciphered
biscuits (zwieback type) and intestines on my own (with the assistance of
Christine Baufelds Early High German dictionary ;-)

Thanks for your continued interest, feel free to contact me directly if you
have additonal questions, and have fun exploring the web site.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/Welcome.html

In Service to the Dream,

Gwen Catrin von Berlin
Barony of Caerthe