SC - Historical varieties

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Apr 4 12:42:39 PDT 2001

- --part1_50.13be3068.27fcc285_boundary

In a message dated 4/4/01 11:17:45 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:

> Just said I read it "somewhere." Don't necessarily agree. Liadan
>
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:04:16 EDT you wrote:
>
> > Really? I've always made chili using both beef and pork together. And I
> have
> > several Cajun receipes that do the same.

Oh, I wasn't arguing or anything. I don't doubt that somewhere there is a
statement like that. I just wonder, besides the sweet, what they base that
on, and when it changed...or if it was always a cultural thing. I know
Spanish cooking uses it, and Cajun....so I wonder if it was a *type* of
cooking  culturally that felt that it was inappropriate. Sorta like the whole
*tomato* issue in period. I remember when it was discussed before one of the
reasons quoted was that the leaves, basically everything but the fruit, is
poison, and therefore, it was considered posion too. That changed much, much
later. So, it makes me wonder when about the thing of combining pork with
other meats changed? Does it go back to the Judaic laws, the Muslim laws?

Just one of those mid morning wondering aloud things.....

Lars

- --part1_50.13be3068.27fcc285_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ff80c0"><FONT  COLOR="#800080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Collage" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/4/01 11:17:45 AM US Mountain Standard Time,