SC - Pig parts - OOP, OT - now tomato leaves

Wed Apr 4 12:37:18 PDT 2001

Thank you for the recipe.  That brings to 6, the number of period bread
recipes of which I am aware, four of which are for rastons (or bastons, or
restons).  Two of these recipes are in the Harleian manuscripts and are the
same recipe with typographical differences.

The raston is an enriched dessert bread which becomes more elaborately
spiced over time.  The bread is much like brioche.  I would not liken it to
biscuit, because it is fairly obvious from the various recipes that it is
not twice baked.

While the recipe is appropriate to the time, as an enriched bread it
probably would not have been used as trenchers.  Because of its use, I would
expect trencher bread to be denser than a loaf baked "as french bread."
"French bread," also known as "poufe" or "puffe," is a lighter bread which
appears in the latter half of the 13th Century.

Although not contemporary with your recipes and just out of Period, I think
Gervase Markham's recipe for cheat may be suitable for making trenchers.

Bear