SC - Ironman Chef competition

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 13:41:46 PDT 2001

Tomato greens contain solanine, an alkloid poison.  It is commonly found in
most of the members of genus Solanum, including potatoes and eggplant.  I've
seen somewhere that a lethal dose for a healthy adult is around 420 mg.
Deep fat frying reduces the solanine found in the green parts of plants.
Boiling potatoes reduces the solanine found in potato skins.

Solanine has been used to treat epilepsy.

Bear

Ok - something else I've been wondering......I was watching Iron Chef the
other night and they were using beefsteak tomato leaves in a dish - actually
I've seen it a couple of different times.  I turned to the friend I was
watching with and said "I thought tomato leaves were poisonous."  She
replied "Me, too.  But remember that these people eat poisonous fish, too."
So I ask you - are not tomato leaves poisonous?????????

Mercedes