SC - St. Benedict the Black

Wed Apr 4 13:23:52 PDT 2001

> Bear has covered the cucumber facts already.
> How can pink NOT be period, when natural red dyes fade so easily?  *SIGH*

Apparently, according to someone on either the Universitas list or SCA-Arts, someone way
back when rocks were soft and (insert corny peer reference here), before AS 10, someone
trudged round the museums in one major metro area, making records of the colors she saw
on clothes in paintings of the period. Then she made a list of these, which became a
pamphlet. Because she didn't find any depictions of pink, others took her work to
indicate that no-one wore pink in period. *sigh*

Actually, I have heard the cucumber thing cited as 'curcurbits are not period'. Which may
be the source of the problem, people confusing the American squash (Curcurbita pepo and
Curcurbita maxima) with the Cucurbitaceae family itself...?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."