SC - What to use?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 20:26:37 PDT 2001

> Post it for me, please? I may never make it, but the thought (drool) is
> wonderful.

Okay...I repeat...this recipe is NOT documented...it is a recipe I got from
a Greek student I went to school with (we worked on converting the
measurements, etc. back in 1980...so I don't have the original measurements
anymore).

Helena's Family Baklava recipe

1 lb phyllo pastry
1 lb unsalted butter (do NOT substitute...it doesn't work!)
1 lb coarsely chopped nuts
1 1/2 lbs honey
1 TB ground cinnamon
1 ts ground nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
2 strips dried orange peel

Melt the butter.  Combine the nuts and ground spices in a bowl.  In a 13 x 9
pan, lay in 1 sheet of pastry, letting the excess hang over the side.  Brush
with butter and fold the remaining pastry in to form a double layer.  Brush
with butter.  Repeat 14 more times.  Spread 1/2 the nut mixture over the
pastry.  Top with 5 double layers of buttered pastry.  Spread remaining nuts
over the pastry.  Top with remaining pastry in buttered double layers.  Cut
into squares cutting no more than halfway through the pastry.  Cut the
squares in half diagonally to form triangles.  Bake at 325 F about 1 hour or
until golden brown.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.  Combine honey,
cinnamon stick, and orange peel in a saucepan and heat slowly for 1 hour.
Strain.  Pour the spiced honey over the baklava evenly and place in a cool
place (I put it in the fridge) to cool for 6 hours or overnight.  Cut the
rest of the way through and serve.

Caitlin nicFhionghuin