SC - OT: Translation feedback

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 9 19:37:37 PDT 2001

- ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0C130.7CEBE800

This feast will take place towards the end of July, it is our 20th =
birthday Defender Event... so I don't want the feast to be a bomb even =
though I am not the feastocrat... I am only a helping hand in the =
kitchen. But it is meant to be a smaller feast also.  Serving =
approximately 200 people.

I do appreciate all the help that everyone can give out there.  Let me =
give you more detail about the situation.  I myself am still trying to =
learn the art of SCA/period cooking.  It is a toughie as I want to serve =
food that is highly recognizable to our members (as many are new players =
- - less than 2 yrs old).  But the situation is that those who normally =
have done the feasts in the past have quit playing.  And we have heard =
many times over that people are tired of the same old stuff (chicken, =
turkey, ect.) Myself and the other highly involved cook have laid low =
this year as we have kind of burned out on feastocrating after 2 yrs of =
2 back to back events (4 events feastocrat each time).
This gave other new members a chance to become more involved.  The one =
who chose to do the feast is well, shall we say meat & potatoes kind of =
girl.  She cooks what she knows & is not willing to try something new.  =
If she doesn't know how, then she doesn't want to do it.  Her idea of a =
feast is BBQ/potluck... I just cringe @ what she is planning.
Although she has me & one other willing cook to help, our current =
feastocrat is stubborn!! her way or the hiway..
She wants to serve smoked meat -- brisket & turkey.    --  This is good. =
 But as the side dishes she wants rice with the cream of mushroom soup =
mix (not very period!) and squash. This is where I was thinking perhaps =
rice with separate sauted mushrooms. and the mushrooms would be arranged =
on top of the rice that way if someone did not like them or was =
allergic, they could pick them off. And then she wants some assorted =
veggies stewed/cooked with the meats (I suspect).  As appetizers =
probably some sort of breads & cheeses. We suggested that some items for =
the vegitarians might be nice (as we have a vegitarian in our shire).  =
Perhaps a nice quiche and some type of lentel soup.  But the answer to =
that suggestion was, I don't know how to do that so I will leave that up =
to you.  And for dessert we are going to have chocolate cake that the =
kids are decorating.  Fine but another droll mundane item... choc. =
cake...
We will serve the cake but we will also have some other more period =
dessert like fresh fruit or bread pudding.  Plus the cake concerns me as =
we have several diabetics in our shire, so I would like to have an =
alternate dessert that will be appropriate for them to eat.  And I know =
that our current feastocrat doesn't think about everyones dietary needs. =
 Basically she wants a minimal effort feast that she has very little, to =
do, as she wants to participate in the rapier tournies during the day =
also.  I told her she wouldn't be able to do both as the feast would =
need her attention. She would not hear of it.
As I stated before she is stubborn & we butt heads, the other =
co-helper.... well, lets just say they have a hate/hate relationship. =
They don't work well together and rarely agree upon anything let alone =
respect each others opinion.

The Tzimmis sounded like a good idea ... but I need some feed back from =
my experienced cooks out here in the wide world of the SCA.  Any & all =
suggestions will be greatly appreciated in how to make this a more =
workable situation.  That is without stepping on too many of my own =
folks toes.  One small tidbit that I left out is, that I won't be there =
to oversee the on-site preping.  I will probably make it to the event =
site somewhere around 5 PM.  Just in time to get the serving =
preparations ready... making the appetizers look nice & whatnot.

Thank you so much for your input.... Krysta

- ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0C130.7CEBE800

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This feast will take place towards the end of July, =
it is our=20
20th birthday Defender Event... so I don't want the feast to be a bomb =
even=20
though I am not the feastocrat... I am only a helping hand in the =
kitchen. <FONT=20
size=3D2>But it is meant to be a smaller feast also.  Serving =
approximately=20
200 people.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I do appreciate all the help that everyone can give =
out=20
there.  Let me give you more detail about the situation.  I =
myself am=20
still trying to learn the art of SCA/period cooking.  It is a =
toughie as I=20
want to serve food that is highly recognizable to our members (as many =
are new=20
players - less than 2 yrs old).  But the situation is that those =
who=20
normally have done the feasts in the past have quit playing.  And =
we have=20
heard many times over that people are tired of the same old stuff =
(chicken,=20
turkey, ect.) Myself and the other highly involved cook have laid low =
this year=20
as we have kind of burned out on feastocrating after 2 yrs of 2 back to =
back=20
events (4 events feastocrat each time).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This gave other new members a chance to become more=20
involved.  The one who chose to do the feast is well, shall we say =
meat=20
& potatoes kind of girl.  She cooks what she knows & is not =
willing=20
to try something new.  If she doesn't know how, then she doesn't =
want to do=20
it.  Her idea of a feast is BBQ/potluck... I just cringe @ what she =
is=20
planning.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Although she has me & one other willing cook to =
help, our=20
current feastocrat is stubborn!! her way or the hiway..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>She wants to serve smoked meat -- brisket &=20
turkey.    --  This is good.  But as the side =
dishes=20
she wants rice with the cream of mushroom soup mix (not very period!) =
and=20
squash. This is where I was thinking perhaps rice with separate =
sauted=20
mushrooms. and the mushrooms would be arranged on top of the rice =
that way=20
if someone did not like them or was allergic, they could pick them off. =
And then=20
she wants some assorted veggies stewed/cooked with the meats (I =
suspect). =20
As appetizers probably some sort of breads & cheeses. </FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>We=20
suggested that some items for the vegitarians might be nice (as we have =
a=20
vegitarian in our shire).  Perhaps a nice quiche and some type of =
lentel=20
soup.  But the answer to that suggestion was, I don't know how to =
do that=20
so I will leave that up to you.  And for dessert we are going to =
have=20
chocolate cake that the kids are decorating.  Fine but another =
droll=20
mundane item... choc. cake...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We will serve the cake but we will also have some =
other more=20
period dessert like fresh fruit or bread pudding.  Plus the cake =
concerns=20
me as we have several diabetics in our shire, so I would like to have an =

alternate dessert that will be appropriate for them to eat.  And I =
know=20
that our current feastocrat doesn't think about everyones dietary =
needs. =20
Basically she wants a minimal effort feast that she has very little, to=20
do, as she wants to participate in the rapier tournies during the =
day=20
also.  I told her she wouldn't be able to do both as the feast =
would need=20
her attention. She would not hear of it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As I stated before she is stubborn & we butt =
heads, the=20
other co-helper.... well, lets just say they have a hate/hate =
relationship. They=20
don't work well together and rarely agree upon anything let alone =
respect each=20
others opinion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The Tzimmis sounded like a good idea ... but I need =
some feed=20
back from my experienced cooks out here in the wide world of the =
SCA.  Any=20
& all suggestions will be greatly appreciated in how to make this a =
more=20
workable situation.  That is without stepping on too many of my own =
folks=20
toes.  One small tidbit that I left out is, that I won't be there =
to=20
oversee the on-site preping.  I will probably make it to the event =
site=20
somewhere around 5 PM.  Just in time to get the serving =
preparations=20
ready... making the appetizers look nice & whatnot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thank you so much for your input.... =
Krysta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C0C130.7CEBE800--