SC - RE:request to all members

Cheriti Watts cassea at teleport.com
Tue Apr 10 21:37:50 PDT 2001

- --part1_bc.12fda0ae.28051b8d_boundary

In a message dated 4/10/01 2:09:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
betpulib at ptdprolog.net writes:

> Personally I find it rather incredible that no one has *ever* found evidence
> of combining flavored sugar syrups with alcohol (or vinegar) throughout
> history ;).

I have stayed out of this discussion for a bit mostly because I am recently
out of the hospital and don't have the energy to go dig out all of the
documentation.   However, briefly, ....

1.  Liqueur as a word was not used until the 17th century and would not be
documentable even as a word to describe the product.  Cordial, on the other
hand was used as a word to describe a flavored distillate which was usually
used for a "medicinal" purpose as early as the 9th century that I have found
documented and perhaps even earlier.

2.  The term "used medicinally" can be very misleading.  When used with a
modern understanding we assume that it was only used to treat illness and in
small amounts and disagreeable flavorings.  However, if you read the herbals
and medical treatises you will find quite a different "view" on the
terminology of "used medicinally".  For instance, most people modernly would
view sipping a peach cordial during dinner to be using it "recreationally".
But several herbals specifically suggest that peach cordials be consumed with
a meat course to aid in digestion and they list this under "medicinal"
applications.  (yes, I am speaking of period herbals)  Perhaps (and IMO) the
difference is not so much in the fact that cordials weren't used in period
except as medicine as it is in a difference of terminology's as to what is
medicine.

3.  There is one period reference which I can pull off of the top of my head.
 (I will research the others when I can physically get out of bed).  About a
year and 1/2 ago I started work on some cordial entries.  The main complaint
I heard was that vodka was not period and shouldn't be used in "liqueurs".
The first bit of research was in the OED where I learned about the words
liqueur and cordial as referenced in #1 above.  Then I started trying to find
out if vodka was period.  I started by searching for charter dates on
distilleries.  I found one which listed a charter date of 1691.  I wrote to
the head of that distillery and learned that the actual charter date is 1591
and that it has been in the same family since that time.  I also learned that
the founder worked as an apprentice to a master brewer in France for twelve
years prior to founding the distillery.  I now have a copy of that original
charter (so wheat vodka produced by Ketel One Distillery is period) as well
as the first few pages of the journal which the founder kept of his time as
an apprentice.  I also have the first few pages of his "recipe" book which he
compiled over his lifetime as a brewer.  The owner and current head of the
family is sending me copies of these documents a few pages at a time as they
are brought out from the vault and hand copied.  He is doing this because he
is thrilled that anyone is interested in such things.  Hopefully I will soon
have many period cordial recipes to share with you all.

However, to get back on point, the first few pages of the apprentice journal
from approx. 1577 note that his master and journeymen have once again failed
to produce a cordial which can either duplicate or exceed that which is
produced by the Brothers of the Benedictine orders.  That the current line of
thought among the master brewers is that said Brothers are using both methods
of the still and those of the infusers in combination to produce their "very
popular" draught.  He also mentions that two much sugar must have been added
in the infusing process as the latest attempt is much sweeter than that
produced by the Benedictine Brothers.

Though I have, as yet, only a few pages of each of these two documents, they
would seem to bear out the evidence found in other herbals that cordials were
used in more than a strict (modern) medicinal sense and that they were indeed
also produced by the use of infusion and the addition of sweetener to an
alcohol base.

I would also note that at least 3 herbals warn against those who would use
these cordials "overmuch"  (Gerard, Culpepper, and Gregory just to mention
three I remember mentioning it outright though I am sure that there are
others)  Such warnings would not be needed if there were not people using
such cordials in a social rather than a medicinal way.

Yes, I could go on about this all day.  And possibly will when I have the
physical strength to do so.  Suffice it for now to say that I disagree with
the assumption that cordials are not period and assert that they were period
and were used more than medicinally though I suspect that they were used less
than we often use them late at night in the campfire circles at camping
events. ;)

Constance de la Rose

- --part1_bc.12fda0ae.28051b8d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=2><B>In a message dated 4/10/01 2:09:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,