SC - Tasty turnips

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 11:48:24 PDT 2001

At 11:05 AM 4/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
>There is scarcely more to tell.  The period original said to boil turnips
in fat
>broth, so I went the lazy route and used a boullion mix.  I had the
turnips peeled
>and chopped into half-inch dice, mixed up the boullion to a strength I
liked, then
>dumped in the turnips and cooked until tender but not mushy, "al dente"
you might
>say.  Whole Foods sells the boullion in bulk, but the brand named G.
Washington's
>is probably very similar.  Next time, I may try this with their brown
[beef-like]
>boullion as well.
>
>Selene

I'm going to pick up a couple of turnips on my next grocery run.  I'll let
you know if I find them eadible.  Or even tasty.  Maybe I don't care for
turnips because my mom, always trying to thin down her fat daughter, tried
to pass them off as potatoes.  Sorry, but they don't have the same texture
or flavor for me.

Addendum:  I use this same idea for cauliflower, lots of broth and cooked
just beyond al dente, but not really mushy, mash slightly, and you have a
great cauliflower soup.

Liadan