SC - coring fruit

Marcus Antaya mjantaya at home.com
Fri Apr 13 18:28:48 PDT 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenne Heise" <jenne at mail.browser.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: OT - Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3085

> Speaking of glop, I encountered a dish of pears in syrup made for a
competition recently.
> The original recipe does not call for cutting, coring, or peeling the
pears at all (in
> fact, none of the pears in syrup type recipes I've seen call for coring
the pear, which
> is odd). The redactor had cored, peeled and cut the pears into small
pieces and cooked it
> for some time-- the amount of wine in her redaction was minimal. Someone
else pointed out
> that this recipe is usually done with pears peeled, cored and sliced in
half, then cooked
> quickly. It occured to me that that is the way modern pears in syrup are
served, and so
> we may be being overly influenced by 'tradition'. What do others think?
(The redaction
> was delicious but obviously somewhat similar to really chunky applesauce.)
>
> --
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise       jenne at mail.browser.net
They may have not cored the pear at all; the Czech vet at work always eats
his apple/pear, core and all. I also remember reading in _Pinniccio_,(the
book not the Disney version) that Gepedo warns his "son" to eat all of the
pear, including the core, since he might not have anything else to eat. Was
this a common thought during the Medieval ages? I don't know. But it could
be why their recipes don't call for coring the fruit. A waste not, want not
attitude.

Beatrix of Tanet