SC - OOP - "White List" question

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 21:02:12 PDT 2001

Radigan Leoncouer declared:
>  Being somewhat mew to this list, though having lurked for half a year or more.  I needs must however step forth and voice my outrage of certain posts on this list which voice a  vegan leaning.  Being a omnivore and proud, I enjoy receipes and feasts which offer a sublime blending, of all forms of flesh whether it be animal or vegetable.  Lets not succumb to the rabbit types and allow our list to become host only to those of the bovine..er..vegetative bent.
<<<<

Huh? I've seen no evidence that the list is leaning towards vegetarianism
or for that matter, anti-vegetarianism. Please remember that the opinions
expressed by folks on this list are that, the opinions of various
individuals. They do not speak for the list as a whole. And for all of
those that post here, there are many more who do not. That does not mean
that they specifically agree or disagree with the opinions expressed.

Most of the food type information added to the Florilegium files in the
past few years has come from this list. If you take a quick look through
the files, you will see that while there are files on vegetables,
vegetarianism and fasts, there is also quite a lot on meats and even
the butchering and storing of meats.

I would hope that both the vegetarians and the omnivores and the
carnivores can express their opinions here without getting into a
flamewar over it.

You also said in another message:
>  'Tacked 'em to the wall' you say?

Well, yes. In some cases.

I'm not quite sure what this was in referance to. However, it does
remind me of an interesting tidbit I saw recently while reading
"London Bodies - the Changing Shape of Londoners from Prehistoric
Times to the Present Day" published by The Museum of London.

p55 There is a picture of squarish piece of brown, wrinkled thin skin
with a corner torn off.

The caption says:
"'Dane's skin' from the door of Southwark Cathedral. Popular tradition
claims that the Vikings who were caught pillaging churches were
flayed alive and their skins nailed to the church door. Several of
these skins have been found on church doors in Essex and elsewhere,
but their origins are unclear. The skin is almost certainly human."

Something often forgotten. The Vikings didn't always win, or at
least not all individuals did.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net