SC - special needs

R. Del Boccio serian at qwest.net
Sun Apr 15 06:50:36 PDT 2001

> Me too.  I may be right off base, but I think it's probably healthy
> in the long term for a person to ingest a bit of mild natural dirt
> and disease with their food.  Keeps the immune system primed and
> ready for when something nasty actually comes along.

I've read a couple articles recently along these lines.  Basically,
children who were exposed to many people (i.e. day-care centers), dirty
homes and pets before the age of 3 and who had their fair share of
normal childhood respiratory infections are far less prone to allergies,
asthma and other respiratory problems later in life; People who had
regular exposure to small amounts of food-borne allergens as a child are
less prone to food poisoning; And, remember, humanity survived for
thousands of years before the Nader-ites and their safety tips, or
Victorian ideals of hygiene and child-rearing.

So, Lady Anneliese Wolkenhaar and I came up with a list of Tips for
Raising a Healthy, Happy, Well-Adjusted Child:
1) Keep a dirty home.
2) Keep lots of pets.
3) Expose your children to many strange people.
4) Periodically expose your children to raw eggs or undercooked poultry.
5) Repeat this mantra daily: Children have survived for thousands of
years...

Basically, it boils down to: raise your kids in the SCA!

:)
Magdalena