SC - Anti meat sympathies

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 15 08:04:20 PDT 2001

Ras and listfolk,

Lord Ras, I must respectfully disagree with you on "special
needs."  We need to realize that the SCA is subject to the
mundane laws of the land, one of which is the Americans with
Disabilities Act.  Sites should be as accessible as
possible, and if they are not, then there are often ways
people can help to make it as accessible as possible.  This
does not mean every recipe has to be altered for someone
with food allergies, but we do have a lot of cooks in the
Outlands who will do their best.  I know many of you do as
well.  Naturally, a lot of people with food allergies have
"safe" food with them and may even choose not to feast if a
large number of allergens is present.

A lot of people in SCA have physical limitations of some
kind, such as diabetes, asthma, fibromyalgia, deafness, and
the more obvious disabilities that require wheelchairs and
canes and things.  The groups need to do the best they can
to be sure that all are welcome and able to participate.
Not only is this a matter of courtesy and chivalry and the
high ideals we strive for, but is is the law of the land.
Most people will not, but people could file a lawsuit for
lack of access, and they could file a complaint with the
government.  SCA is a non-profit educational organization.

No, all persons are not expected to participate in every SCA
activity, however, they certainly should have the option of
doing so.  I am a mostly blind person and am learning
archery, as is a gentle who uses a wheelchair.  We are
learning how to compensate for our own disabilities in this
area.  I was at an A&S event a few weeks ago at which people
had to climb a steep flight of stairs to get to most of the
event, and down a steep flight to get to where Court was.  I
witnessed a lot of people with asthma and knee or hip
problems having great difficulty with all the up and down.

Many kingdoms have an office which is generally called
Porter or Concierge.  the person holding this office is
knowledgeable in the laws that SCA must adhere to regarding
accessibility.  Outlands does not yet, but I am trying to
change that.  I will happily answer questions as well.

Not only are we trying to recreate the middle ages as they
should have been, with everyone being gentry and indoor
plumbing and etc., but we are part of an educational
organization, and need to ensure that everyone is as welcome
as possible.

In Service,
Lady Serian