SC - Food safety

Solstice Studios solstice at moscow.com
Sun Apr 15 11:22:24 PDT 2001

Well, I've already read your general apology and I'm inclined to be forgiving, but I have a couple of things to say:

Radigan Leoncouer wrote:

>  I am moved to agree with you on a few points..most notably religion...however, life experience has taught me that crackpots, however miniscule their number
> when extremely vocal wield power and influence far beyond their actual numbers... witness..the  numerous ludicrous bans in California which have sprung up

Here in sunny Caid, I don't recall any ludicrous bans influencing my feast menus in any way.  There are a few travel bans on home-grown produce, intended to limit spread of certain insects, but we can live with that.

> -And lets not speak of the vegans undermining most of the sca, in general and here in michigan in particular.  So pardon me if tend to be a bit 'hot' or 'overreactive' on allowing the oderous leaf eaters any voice on what has become my favorite list

I'm sorry you live with annoying people.  We had one of those, but she died.  [Honest.  We didn't do it, it was a heart condition, but still.  Jeez.]

Our vegans in Caid, even at their most insistant, have only urged us to provide them with sustanance, not to change the whole menu on everyone.  What I do is to not put meat or killed-animal by-products [lard, etc.] into any dish which is not overtly
meat-oriented.  This means vegetable shortening in pie crusts, that's the breaks.  If it's a meat pie, the vegs know enough not to eat it, and fill up on our ample nummy side dishes. Our vegans have been trained to ASK well before the event, it took
awhile but we whupped each other into shape!

My best example:  The baroness of Altava [San Fernando Valley, fer sure] has long since made the personal decision never to eat anything with a face, and is plagued by many allergies besides.  She is well-loved in these lands for her sweetness and fair
judgement, and quietly brings her own lunch.  She is always happily surprised when she is presented with a feast that is "Aelfwyn-safe"!

And yes, we evolved as omnivores, but vegetarianism is part of the European life style, as you may recall from the Lenten season just passed.  Even the "penitents" deserve a good meal!

Yours in service, Selene