Subject: SC - coring fruit - sca-cooks V1 #3092

Sarah Fiedler sarah at greenberg.org
Sun Apr 15 23:27:15 PDT 2001

Tristan commented:
> From: "Rovena" <rovena at softdisk.com>
> > You stated that every person should have the option of participating in
> > everything.  Is that realistic?  How would a wheelchair  person fight in a
> > melee?
>
> Actually Quite well thank you :-) Even won some tounrey's.

Thanks Tristan for giving us a first-hand example. I've seen folks in
wheelchairs in SCA battles. Apparently in some situations being in a
wheelchair can be an advantage. I seem to remember a combat rule for
either Pennsic or Gulf Wars that you were not allowed to use your
wheelchair bound comrades as battering rams against your opponents.

Similarly, down here in Ansteorra, we have Sir Kief. Sir Kief, currently
Earl Marshal for Ansteorra, has one leg amputated above the knee. He
fights in both tournaments and melees. Crutch and sword, anyone? The
last thing you want to do with Kief is take his leg. He's a tough
competitor on one leg. He's much, much worse on the ground.

Still at many times there can still be a lot of bias against those
with handicaps. After shooting combat archery for several years
without incident, my authorization was not renewed, because several
local folks pressured our local marshal not to renew it. He was
happy with what I showed in the test he gave, but wasn't willing
to put up with the political cost involved to do so. Unfortunately,
only one of the complainers was willing to come forward and admit
to me that they had complained.

I had just bought a set of heads and supplies for a new set of
combat quarrels for use against the armies of Trimaris. I've
been tempted to offer them to Trimaris - cheap. :-)

And for those who might be interested in the treatment of
handicaps in the SCA and some suggestions on how to overcome
them, there is a file in the Florilegium (of course :-) ) in
the HANDICAPS section:
handicaps-msg     (68K)  6/15/98    Handicaps in the SCA and period,
hiding
                                      wheelchairs, SCA sign language.

If after reading this, particularly if you have comments from personal
or professional experience, please feel free to send me a message for
possible inclusion in this file.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net