SC - special needs

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Apr 16 13:50:20 PDT 2001

- --- Nanna_Rögnvaldardóttir <nannar at isholf.is> wrote:

> The author was M.F.K. Fisher, actually. And no,
> there aren't any wolf
> recipes, and no medieval recipes, although she
> quotes this rather intriguing
> 17th century recipe (from Secrets of Nature by
> Wesker, published in 1660):
>
> "Take the goose, pull off the feathers, make a fire
> about her, not too close
> for smoke to choke her, or burn her too soon, not
> too far off so she may
> escape. Put small cups of water with salt and honey
> ... also dishes of apple
> sauce. Baste goose with butter. She will drink water
> to relieve thirst, eat
> apples to cleanse and empty her of dung. Keep her
> head and heart wet with a
> sponge. When she gets giddy from running and begins
> to stumble, she is
> roasted enough. Take her up, set her before the
> guests; she will cry as you
> cut off any part and will be almost eaten before she
> is dead ... It is
> mighty pleasant to behold."

It seems to me that this kind of treatment would tend
to cause the goose to take on a gamey flavor.  When an
animal is frightened, it releases adrenalin, which
taints the flavor of the meat.  Not to mention that
the plucking of a live goose is...well..difficult.

This is one of those suspect recipes, I would imagine,
which are more theoretical than anything else.  I have
come across a number of these which cause me to doubt
that the dish was ever actually produced.  I could be
wrong, though.  Discuss?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."