SC - a brief feast report-

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 17 04:02:41 PDT 2001

Hi y'all!

I just wanted to give a brief report of the feast last weekend, in the
Shire of GlynDwfn, Pr. of Summits, K. of An Tir (Ashland/Medford
Oregon). Seumas (James), who is my very favorite tall fuzzy person, was
head cook. The event was a Hocktide, one of Glyn Dwfn's traditional
events. As it fell the day before Easter, James decided to do a Lenten
meal, which also solved the problem of a recent influx of
vegetarian/vegans in the shire- several of whom were working in the
kitchen (and he believes in treating the help very well). That I can
remember (and I was sick so don't fuss that my memory is so shoddy)
there was bread and an almond and fruit tray out for starters. And then
there was a dish of beans (favas, IIRC) with onions, and something that
looked hoorid but was primarily mooshed dates (and I haven't the
faintest). Along came a soup and sops- it had almond milk in it, and
some verjuice or vinegar, and was yellow- saffron maybe. It was
different. There was some sauteed spinach with garlic and spices (YUM!)
There were also some pies that were filled with
apples/pears/figs/raisins, and they were popular. There were some
mushrooms, sauteed and with a little vinegar I think, and a salad of
greens and herbs, dressed with a little vinegar. Another soup of turnip
and I think apples. Some fish (pollock) with a purplish sauce
(cameline?). It was good, and I'm not that fond of fish. I know there
was something else but I can't remember. Dessert was several platters
heaped with gingerbread cut into lozenges. Pretty spiffy.

The fighters seemed surprised that there was enough to eat even without
a hunk of dead animal (but my son was whining that he was hungry when we
got back to James' place- a bowl of ice cream shut him up). Everyone
seemed happy with the feast and James got a lovely round of applause and
was gifted with some more spices from the coronet. I understand the
kitchen is somewhat easier to clean up with no animal fats (just a drain
clogged a bit with spinach stems). I got to spend time with Vesta and I
taught my son to throw a wrap. That may have been the only mistake of
the evening...

'Lainie