SC - re: earning awards

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:53:41 PDT 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> Let's face it: unless one is an expert in some particular SCA activity, one has no way of
> knowing for sure if ANYONE achieved an award fairly. And even so, one may not share the
> opinions of those who gave him/her the award, or their priorities.
>
> --
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

I agree.  Why would you wonder about someone's merit more
just because they have a disability?  Why is our merit more
questionable than someone else's?  I have no place judging,
for example, fighting abilities as I know nothing about it.
I'm not a needlework expert either, though I'm learning some
and can feel evenness of stitches etc.  It is not proper to
wonder if _anyone_ deserves an award really, even if we know
the area of expertise or whatever.  We do not know what
everyone else does for other people.  We may recommend them
for awards because we see merit.  I cannot see that I've
ever seen someone get an award for sloppy work in Outlands.
It certainly could happen, but people will give awards for
their own reasons.
Serian