SC - re: earning awards

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:53:41 PDT 2001

In my experience, members of the martial orders tend to be *very* picky
about who they let in.  Skill at arms is only one factor.  Case in point: a
friend of mine was elevated to the Iren Fyrd at Gulf Wars.  Josef is not the
most skilled fighter, but he is unfailingly courteous and has supported the
Calontir army as a waterbearer and marshal in spite of a painful back
injury.  To reward his dedication and courtesy, they took him in.

Non-SCA case: I once saw a man with cerebral palsy test for his
fourth-degree black belt in shotokan karate.  Ranking at that level is
determined as much by theoretical understanding and teaching ability as by
physical skill.  He fought several attackers from his knees; he couldn't
perform kicks or the usual footwork and stances, but he was quite competent
and showed a thorough understanding of the theories underlying the
techniques.  He earned his ranking.

As a fighter/martial artist, I tend to be somewhat cautious when dealing
with opponents who are smaller or older or who have obvious disabilities.
Not so much for fear of hurting them, but for fear of the skills they may
have developed to compensate!  I have been tossed around like a rag doll by
65-year old women, and made to say "thankyousirmayihaveanother" by fighters
who maybe come up to my shoulders (I'm just shy of 6').  I give full
measure; to do anything less is to cheat myself and my opponents.

Vicente
(thankyousirmayi..ow!)