SC - horseradish root

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 19 07:57:12 PDT 2001

>Stefan said:
>Recently I saw whole horseradish root. How would you use this? I assume
>not in mead :-). What would you do to go from fresh horseradish root
>to horseradish sauce? Any period recipes for fresh horseradish? I don't
>remember many that use horseradish at all.

Be as careful with fresh horseradish as you would with jalapenos. The
recipes
I've seen using horseradish call for finely grating it and adding vinegar.
The
fumes off the horseradish while being grated is nearly as potent as jalapeno
fumes and much worse than chopped onions. I believe I saw a recipe in
Welserin
or Rumpolt yesterday using a horseradish root to stir the mustard. If I have
time, I'll double check.

Liadan