SC - Profit was Opinions?

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 15:39:45 PDT 2001

> Our you well off enough to host Coronation or Crown Tourney and have
it be a
> Free event?

Well, we did have an open bar at our last event and are planning
another. It should be noted however that the libation was donated by 2
individuals (Hi Donal!). I have seen the occasional free event here
however.

> We had a Barony do that with a Coronation back in 1999. Took a
> hefty chunk of their bank account do it. But they felt bad having such
> large bank Account.

I believe, and please correct me if Im wrong, that being a
not-for-profit organization there are ceilings on back accounts,
otherwise the sca would fall into another tax bracket. It may be
different in the US than here, Im not too sure.

> It is a good idea to make at least small profit.

I see no problem in making any profit actually. What I dont agree with
is the mindset that says an event is a failure if they lose a small
amount or dont make any profit at all. That is, after all, not what
we're here for.

>Remember that Ealdormere is still a
> toddler kingdom you might be walking now but lean times could set in.
> always good to have a cushion when that happens.

I totally agree with this but I doubt "lean times" could actually occur.
We may be a toddler Kingdom but we were a full flegded Principality for
a couple of decades before that. In reality geography made us a
"Kingdom" long before the ink was dry. Perhaps I need clarification of
exactly what you mean by lean times? Maybe y'all have really expensive
sites in the States, I dunno. Here in Ottawa (and I certainly cant speak
for the rest of Ealdormere) we can get a site that holds 500-ish for
about $1200 cdn.

Micaylah