SC - Profit was Opinions?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 20 11:54:23 PDT 2001

Yep, you're absolutlely correct.  We should never have listened to those who
said they were coming.  Thing is, they were friends who usually do what they say
they're going to.  Oh well.  We learned a very painful lesson, and, from here on
out, we only cook for the number of paid reservations we have, plus 5 - 10,
depending on the size of the event.  And, if we don't have enough reservations
to cover the cost of the site, at least (which happened last fall!), we cancel
the event.  We got to the week before the event and only had 10
reservations...enough to cover about 1/3 of the site fee.  So we cancelled.

The bad news was that the Kingdom Seneschal got really upset over the
cancellation, and put us through a grilling over how we handled the event, etc.
We've never had that happen before, so we were completely surprised by his
attitude.  I would have thought he would have applauded our fiscal responsbility
by bailing out of an untenable situation.  Oh well.....

However, even with his attitude, were we in the same situation again, we'd do
the same thing.  I don't see the point of going seriously in the hole just to
avoid cancelling an event...especially a week in advance!

Kiri