SC - Profit was Opinions?

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Apr 20 11:59:58 PDT 2001

Maggie Forest wrote:

> we want to also recreate the ceremony and circumstance of a feast. The
> premise is that the burghers of the city of Ystad are feasting the new
> galkare (sort of governor). They are well to do, but not all noble.
> Could anyone suggest books or other sources that I can attempt to ILL?
> We'd be most grateful.

You're in luck- I just happen to have on the Bedside Table Pile o'
Reading a copy of:

_City and Spectacle in Medieval Europe_, Barbara Hanawalt and Kathryn
Reyerson, eds.
Medieval Studies at Minnesota, Vol.6. (University of Minnesota Press,
Minneapolis, 1994).

So far (I'm not done with it) it would appear that this volume has lots
of the sort of info that you are looking for, and loads of good
references. I've been picking my way through the huge civic festivals
surrounding public knightings- pretty interesting stuff.

You also might look into Geores Duby's work- particularly the _History
of Private Life_ Vol 2- he has quite a bit of stuff on civic ritual
there, and again, good references.

Good luck! Sounds like a good time!

'Lainie