SC - RE. OOP Question for the Australians

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 23:05:40 PDT 2001

Morning all,

I haven't been keeping up over Easter (Rowany Festival followed by a
friend's wedding yesterday) so I apologise if this has come up recently.

A friend of mine found the following recipe from: Thomas Dawson (1596) The
Good Huswifes Jewell, Falconwood Press edition p7.

To boile pigges feete and petitoes
Take and boyle them in a pint of vergice & bastard, take foure dates minced
with a fewe small raysons, then take a little time and chop it small and
season it with a little synamon and ginger and a quantity of vergice.

His question:  what are petitoes?  Are they potatoes?  White potatoes?
Sweet potatoes?

I suggested that sweet potatoes would be a best-guess given this source was
written late 16th Century in England.

Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts?  Please ....

Regards
Mel.