SC - Re: Horseradish Root

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 22 06:46:10 PDT 2001

Susan Laing wrote:

> It's one of those *cultural* dishes from Down South of Australia (Adelaide
> or Melbourne???) and my ignorance on the topic was complete until Terry
> Pratchet's Disc-world book "The Last Continent" was published [and the
> thought of drowning a perfectly good meat pie in green pea soup still gives
> me the shudders!!!].

With respect... perhaps it is a comment on the perfect goodness, or
perhaps we should say the degree of respect, or perceived quality, of
the perfectly good meat pie.

Thass okay, you should see what American grocery stores have in the
frozen food cases under the name "pot pie"; I can't imagine sloshing pea
soup over them would have any noticable impact one way or the other ;  ) .

I actually have a recipe somewhere that will turn out dozens or perhaps
hundreds of those little puck-shaped industrial meat pies, in an old
British vocational school (for bakers) textbook. I often threaten my
lady wife, who appreciates such things.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy