SC - Colored Broth without Fire

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:51:35 PDT 2001

"E. Rain" wrote:

> Good morning,
> All of my late English sources are out on loan, so perhaps someone here can
> find this info easily:  what in 17th c. English parlance is a pan-pudding?
> it's used as part of a definition in Florio (17th c. Italian-English
> dictionary) and I'd like to know what he meant by it...
> thanks for any citations you can find,

I don't know, but I might be tempted to guess that a pan-pudding would
be more likely to denote a pudding made from bread or breadcrumbs (as in
pan cotto) rather than a pudding made in a pan. I can find no reference
in either Markham, Plat or Digby, after an admittedly quick search.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com