SC - figs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 23 23:26:57 PDT 2001

- --- "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
wrote:
> Olwen commented:
> > There is no date for the recipe.  I am relatively
> certain there was no
> > celery seed in period but everything else I am
> pretty sure was.
>
> What makes you doubt celery seed was period. They
> had celery, although
> for a long time it was apparently more a medicinal
> than a food item.

Well, Homer certainly seemed to believe in the
existence of celery, or "selinon", as the Greeks knew
it, since he mentions it in his "Odessey" around 850
b.c.   Wild celery is native to the Mediterranean
regions, where it used to be called "smallage", and
was used mainly for soups.  The celery we know today
in the U.S. originated in Kalamazoo sometime in the
mid-to-late 1800's, when Dutch farmers arrived to make
use of the "muck fields" around that city.  Celery has
come a long way, but it certainly is period.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."