SC - figs

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Apr 24 05:45:52 PDT 2001

"E. Rain" wrote:

> Balthazar requested the context of my pan pudding quote from Florio.
>
> florio cites "A Pan-Pudding" as one of several definitions for the word
> soffrito.  (Which seems to have changed meaning significantly since his
> time.)
>
> Eden

Are you sure? Aren't there both Catalonian (IIRC) and French references
to a process referred to as "surfrire" (among other spellings),
referring to the slow sauteeing or sweating of various ingredients,
often without browning, and often prior to the addition of the main
ingredients? I'm tempted to suggest "pan-pudding" may simply be an
error. Or maybe it has changed, but there does seem to be a tradition
not easily translated into English (often called subfrying, like that
tells the average person a lot) of, well, subfrying in numerous sources,
but I've never seen it translated, no matter what it was originally
called, as pan-pudding. Of course, there's always a first time.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com