SC - Re: buttermilk

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 16:36:53 PDT 2001

> > Buttermilk is milk to which bacterial cultures have been added to
give
> > it its characteristic sour taste. Even though it has butter in its
name,
> > it is not a higher fat choice! It is made from either 1% or 2% milk.
Its
> > nutritional content is comparable to regular white milk except it
may or
> > may not be fortified with vitamin D. One cup or 250 mL of buttermilk
> > (0.8% MF) has 105 calories and 2 grams of fat.

Margherita asked....

> i always thought buttermilk was what was left over after you made
butter from
> the milk - more like skim milk.

For all intents and purposes it is. The process has been refined
however. Next time you're in your local supermarket, take a close look
at what passes for milk. There is actually no "real" milk for sale today
as its mostly milk, additives, water et al. One can even find "dairy
beverage" that contain no real milk at all but are packaged to look
remarkably like other milk cartons. And I dont mean the "milk"
subsitutes for lactose intolerant folk. Its kinda like juice beverages
that contain no natural fruit juices. Dont see the point to these, but
then, Im not a white milk fan anyway.

And as I also said, American mileage may vary. I am not too sure exactly
what the "defination" of Buttermilk is in the States but I would bet
dollars to Peeps that its relatively the same.

Micaylah