SC - RE: Menu & recipes - was on table menus

Wed Apr 25 06:55:59 PDT 2001

> >> 1 tablespoon or more of hot mustard (I use most of a small jar, maybe
> >> about 3 spoons?  2 would be good, I think.  Get the really hot
> >Forgive my stupidity here, but how is this period?
> Well, the original recipe I was given just said "mustard", which I took
> to be mustard in jars.  My swedish friend says he uses the seed style,
> but I prefer the hot english or a mixture of the two.  Now, mustard in
> jars is just made of mustard seeds, vinegar, and some other bits and
> pieces, all of which were available in medieval europe.

It's certainly not impossible to produce a hot mustard using the extant recipes for
mustard. It is also my contention that period mustard recipes are analogous to modern
barbeque sauce and salad dressing recipes: everyone has his own personal recipe, and
though they contain similar ingredients, the exact mixture depended on the cook.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net