SC - Re: Wierd but Cool Kitchen Gadgets

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 09:32:23 PDT 2001

Hullo the list,

For those on the list who may have trouble finding
hazelnuts, author Sallie Tisdale (in her Saveur
Magazine article 'Hazelnuts are Filberts') advises to
look for packaged 'Filberts', which are, in fact, the
same nut.

The name change was adopted in Oregon (the largest
hazelnut producing state in the US), and is said to
honor Saint Philbert, whos August 22nd Feast Day
coincides with the beginning of hazelnut season in
England (among other explanations).

The majority of the world's hazelnut crop is grown in
Turkey, followed by Italy, Spain and the U.S.' Pacific
Northwest.

As for the leaves... no mention of any commercial or
culinary uses in modern times, though the hulls are
ground up and sold to industry for use as a cheap
fuel.

Just thought I'd pass along the results of my limited
research on the hazelnut...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."