SC - period mustard sauce using verjuice

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 7 16:52:13 PDT 2001

<<<< Second aside:  The finest Dijon mustard is apparently made using
verjuice, not vinegar.  This usage is said to have begun in 1752.>>>>

Okay. I decided to check this, since as I mentioned in another message,
I thought 1752 was a little late to finally be using verjuice in
mustard sauces.

So I looked in the mustard-msg file in the CONDIMENTS section of the
Florilegium.

There are a number of sauce Roberts that include mustard and verjuice.
Is this still a mustard sauce? Well, maybe not. Maybe so.

However:
> Platina: On Right Pleasure and Good Health
> trans.  Mary Ella Milham
>
> 8.14  Red Mustard Sauce
>
> Grind in mortar or mill, either separately or all together, mustard, raisins, dates, toasted bits of bread, and a little cinnamon.  When it is ground, soak with verjuice or vinegar and a bit of must, and pass through a sieve into serving dishes.  This heats less than the one above (8.13 Prepared Mustard/ Sinapidum) and stimulates thirst but does not nourish badly.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net