SC - ferrets - OT

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 7 23:49:01 PDT 2001

Glenda said:
> From: "Jenne Heise" <jenne at mail.browser.net>
> > Aren't brown otters related to ferrets, too? Now there's an animal that is
> safe from
> > being eaten because the concept is nasty- who'd eat something that smelled
> that bad.
>
> Ferrets can be eaten, and others of this ilk. You have to remove the scent
> glands first, and then the meat is a little gamey, but OK, apparently. I
> think we got that from one of the survival manuals a loooong time ago.
>
> We used to own three beautiful albino ferrets as pets. What cuties. I think
> I could probably eat a ferret if I needed to in the wild etc, but wild ones
> have an amazing temper, and you wouldn't want to catch it with bare hands.

Wild ferrets? What I'd heard was that ferrets had been bred so much that
they'd lost their ability to live in the wild, that one that went feral
or tried to, would quickly die.

See this file in the ANIMALS section of the Florilegium:
ferrets-msg       (57K) 10/29/98    Ferrets in the SCA.and Middle Ages.

More details on these feral ferrets, please.

For those interested in ferrets there are also these additional files:
Ferret-Basket-art  (9K)  1/ 2/99    "Constructing a Ferret's Basket for
Rabbit
                                       Hunting" by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
Ferrets-Hunt-art  (17K)  1/ 3/99    "Rabbit Hunting with Ferrets"
                                       by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
Ferets-Genets-art (14K)  1/ 4/99    "White Ferrets, Genets, Virgins And
                                       Unicorns" by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net