SC - Hazelnuts are Filberts

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Fri Apr 27 11:00:36 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:

>The name change was adopted in Oregon (the largest
>hazelnut producing state in the US), and is said to
>honor Saint Philbert, whos August 22nd Feast Day
>coincides with the beginning of hazelnut season in
>England (among other explanations).

I just happened across an illustration in "Pleasures and Pastimes in
Tudor England" (Alison Sim, Sutton Publishing 1999) which shows a chart
of letters and pictures intended to help children learn the alphabet.
Under "F" it has... a "filbert".  It looks like a nut and a leaf
attached to a twig.  The detail is sketchy as it's just a woodcut, but
it looks like it could be a hazelnut to me.

K.

- --
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud at infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/
"Ah yes, I bet Skud wasn't cunning enough to look for the stapler in
 /usr/bin/stapler." -- Morgan (from the Netizen quotes file)