SC - Re: verjuice

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:36:06 PDT 2001

If you need a substitute for verjuice, Barbara Santich in her book:
Mediterranean cuisine:Medieval recipes for today recommends the following:

(page 47) The best alternative to verjuice is lemon juice, softened
with a dash of sweet grape juice or orange juice.

The last feast I did I was doing a chicken recipe with verjuice and I
used white grape juice with lemon juice to add the sour and I think
it worked pretty good.

I also remember reading on one of the websites that was selling
verjuice that they didn't recommend using vinegar to substitute for
verjuice, inferring that vinegar would be much more bludgeoning.
They sold 'specialty vinegar' as well so I don't think they were
trying more to sell you verjuice.  If I find the source I will post
it to the list.

BTW, here's the definition I found online for verjuice:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition.   2000.

                        SYLLABICATION:
                                       ver.juice
                       PRONUNCIATION:
                                         vûr´js´´

NOUN : 1. The acidic juice of crab apples or other sour fruit, such
as unripe grapes. 2. Sourness, as of disposition.

ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English verjus, from Old French vertjus, verd, unripe, See
VERDANT. + jus, juice. See JUICE.

Also,  I found a neat url for food substitutions:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Vinegars.html

It does have verjuice in it.
=========
Angie Malone, Computing Manager     email: alm4 at cornell.edu
Cornell University Press, Sage House, 512 East State Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu
607-277-2338 ext 238 (phone)          607-277-2374 (fax)