SC - SERVERS

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Apr 24 10:05:47 PDT 2001

> One policy I like to do with servers if I can is to have
> them pay half price for the feast. But about an hour or
> half an hour before the feast is to be served I like to
> have them sat down and fed the feast. This is good for
> a few reasons. One is that they actually get fed and so
> aren't hungry or grabbing for bits and pieces of the
> leftovers. I consider that rather demaning for my help.
> Another advantage is that we can show them exactly how we
> want the dishes served, portion size, any special presentation,
> etc...
> And third is that they now have an idea about what every
> dish tastes like or contains so that they can answer
> diners' questions.

This is indeed good practice and one I employ often. I always make sure,
whether while they are sitting eating or otherwise, that my servers know
exactly what they are serving. Ingredients are not left however to the
memories of these gentles as I tend to put this on each table along with
a little history lesson of where each dish is from et al. Call it a
distraction to the feast if you will by having "paper" on the tables,
but I call it "taking the mystery out of the kitchen and into the faces
of the Populace". I have never really had a complaint about this and
have had people thanking me for taking the time to educate them in what
they are eating. For these it adds to the event rather than take
away....and for me, its all worth it if even one person walks away from
feast with my little "lesson" in hand.

Micaylah