[Sca-cooks] Fw: [MR] Red saffron source

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Wed Aug 1 05:36:32 PDT 2001

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:35:40 -0700 Maggie MacDonald
>Adamantius said:
>>Hey there...

>>My own experience is that I am still trying to think of ways to use
>the kilo of safflower stamens that a kind, well-meaning friend picked up

>for me in Turkey.

   Good Sir,

      I am quite serious--find your nearest textile person with an
interest in natural dying.  Many novice dyers try saffron, because it is
mentioned as a colour, especially with regard to the leine.  The problem
is, they do not take into account the value of saffron to the culinary
industry.  I have always thought saffron-coloured was a reference to a
hue, not a plant used for fabric dying.  Safflower is a far less
expensive alternative, even if it does not colour as well.

    I expect the dyer would be quite happy with the safflower.

    Elizabeth