[Sca-cooks] Panforte was ( Re: Food gifts)

Wed Aug 8 06:54:32 PDT 2001

Pan-for'-tay is about right.  Someone with a better grasp of Italian might
give you a more correct pronunciation.

The name essentially means "strong bread," most likely from the use of
pepper as one of the spices.  The earliest references are from 13th Century
monastery accounts where the bread was part of the rents and fees taken in
by the monastery.  I've found no period recipes for panforte, but I suspect
it may have been similar to period gingerbread.

Bear