[Sca-cooks] yellow sauce

Irmele von Gruensberg irmele at thebartholomews.com
Sun Aug 12 21:16:40 PDT 2001

I just made Yellow Sauce (Poivre Jaunet or Aigret) as redacted
from Menagier de Paris in The Medieval Kitchen (recipe 109).  It
was good but I didn't really know what to expect.

The sauce is quite yellow and has strong flavor of saffron, but I
may have overdone it a bit -- it's so hard to tell because the
quality varies. The ginger gives a bite but the flavor is well
balanced by the saffron and white wine vinegar, once I added
about 25% more vinegar (it was too bland at first tasting).

Is this what others have found? Have you adjusted it? Any
comments?

Irmele

-------
The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
progress.

-- Joseph Joubert