[Sca-cooks] 14th century foods for an elevation

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Wed Aug 15 07:20:00 PDT 2001

Tart de Bry
Forme of Cury from Caridoc's Medieval and Renaisance Cookery Books.

This can be made as a large pie, or as mini-pies, or even muffin or mini-muffin sized pies.  Adjust cooking time downward when using smaller pies.

Tartys in Applis/Apple and Pear Tart  -
Curye on Inglish from Caridoc's Medieval and Renaisance Cookery Books.

Again, this can be made as a large pie, or as mini-pies, or even muffin or mini-muffin sized pies.  Adjust cooking time downward when using smaller pies.

For to make pommedorry/Meatballs -
Diursa Servicia from Curye on Inglysch

Meatballs which are boiled until done, cooled, then grilled with egg yolk batter over them.  Are good hot or cold.

Compost/Pickled Root Vegetables
Forme of Cury from Curye on Inglysch

Drain well before serving.

Cormarye/Roast Pork in a Wine Sauce
Forme of Cury from Curye on Inglysch

Serve meat either sliced thin and rolled, or in chunks suitable for dipping.  Serve wine sauce on side in dipping bowl.

Tourteletes in fryture/Ground figs in pastry
Forme of Cury from Curye on Inglysch

These are pretty darn good.  A lot depends on your dough though.  I prefer a thin pie crust type dough myself.

Daryols
Pleyn Delit # 118

This is another one that can be done in different sizes.  Tart, muffin, mini-muffin size.  Again, adjust the time to cook downward as you use smaller sizes.  I also like to dress the tops up with sugared flowers sitting on top.

Confiture de noiz
Menagier de Paris from Early French Cookery

Not english, true, but 14th century.  And I use a variety of nuts for this.  Filberts are especially interesting.

For to Make Cryppys/Crisps
Ancient Cookery from Caridoc's Medieval and Renaisance Cookery books.

This one is really great.  You can make little dollar sized ones, or any size up to a large platter.   Good stuff.

Kateryn de Develyn