[Sca-cooks] Interesting things in Hispanic groceries (WAS: ... sugarcones)

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 15:00:43 PDT 2001

On 8/17/01 7:52 AM sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
>> Sugar cones are available through J.S. Townsend, suppliers of US Rev War
and
>> earlier stuff for reinactors.
>
>You can also frequently find tham at your local Hispanic grocery. They
>have quite a few interesting things, in fact...

since this thread isn't period anyway...

Has anyone seen "saladitos" in the Pacific Northwest?  Hispanic groceries
aren't on my regular routes, but just saw a reference in "The Food of
Paradise" (GREAT book about Hawaiian food), about seeing crack seed for
sale in the Southwest, as "saladitos" (little salty things), from
Taiwan... something about the Mexicans having incorporated a lot more
Chinese things into their regular cuisine (starting about 100 yrs ago?!?)
than the Hawaiians did.

I'd LOVE to find a mainland source of crack seed, sigh!  Probably the
most memorable Local item from my year at grad school in Honolulu.

Thanks,
Chimene