[Sca-cooks] Re: Breakfast

Sarah Fiedler sarah at greenberg.org
Tue Aug 21 10:54:38 PDT 2001

Regarding the breakfast question -- my 2 cents.

I've done two mundane breakfasts for events.   Cereal/milk, bread/butter,
eggs, ham (sliced), scrapple (we're in PA), sausage gravy with biscuits,
eggs, baked (nobody knows but us) veggies (mushrooms, onions & peppers all
cooked and served separately), fruit and lots of coffee and tea.  (Try to
have one coffee urn perking when the working one is 1/2 full.)  We
pre-cooked as much as we could.

After this last one, we had some thoughts on how to address the timing
problem.  Post a notice that says that before 8 and after 11 (or times you
like better) a continental breakfast will be available with whatever self
service foods you care to put out.  Within those hours you'll serve the hot,
delicious, nutritious breakfast that takes a tag team of egg coookers to
make.  My alarm didn't go off and I got to the kitchen a full hour and a
half late.  We served at 9:15 (I think).  I had a wonderfully timed and well
appreciated bail-out by Adamantius. (Thanks again :))

I got lots of compliments on the bread that we had.  I made over 20 loaves
of bread in two breadmakers during the week before the event.  When I
escaped from the kitchen, I heard people say that they were impressed by the
variety of breads.  Of course I meant to have an ingredient statement with
each one so that people could opt out of ingredients they didn't care for,
but I didn't get that going in time.

If someone else is doing breakfast on Saturday and you plan on sharing
things like jam, sugar, salt & pepper, etc., make sure those items are where
you need them to be before Sunday morning.  Make sure you have help lined up
to prep fruit, cook, and clean up.

Good luck with your project :)